Wednesday, February 16, 2011

We Can Be Better

Sometimes I become disillusioned with people, most particularly church people. I am a church person, so I include myself in the disappointment...I sometimes become frustrated with all of us. I wonder why we try to make church all about ourselves instead of about others. I question our motives sometimes. I'm not sure we're really in this to build up God's kingdom as much as we are to build up our own. We seldom consult God about what He wants and generally settle for striving to accomplish our own goals and wish lists.
If it weren't so sad to listen to us talk it would be humorous. We say one thing and mean another. For example, we say we want all viewpoints represented but what we really mean is that we want our viewpoint represented. We say we're concerned about some people having too much power, but what we really mean is that we want more power. We hide behind saying that people are complaining and concerned but what we really mean is that we're complaining but don't want it charged to our account.
When I think about it honestly, it's no wonder lots of people don't want anything to do with the church. I read a book recently entitled, "They love Jesus, but not the church." I think that's pretty much right, because even as a pastor, that's how I feel sometimes.
My guess is that Jesus doesn't like the church very much sometimes either...but whether He likes us very much or not...He does love the church. You see, the Bible says, "He loved the church and gave Himself for it." Wow...even though He could see all of our faults and could tell how far off track we'd get, He still loved us...those of us who are the church.
So even though it's easy to find fault with the church, it's also important to remember how important it is to Christ. I guess that means we should also commit ourselves to trying to make it the best it can be, even though it's made up of some seriously flawed people. I'm one of those flawed human beings, but I'm going to re-commit myself to making the church a better place. How about you?

1 comment: