Monday, October 26, 2009

Lining Up with God's Purpose

As those of you at Faith know, we are in the middle of a series called "Extreme Makeover: Church Edition." I actually preached a similar series at a previous pastorate but as I've prepared for this series each week I've ended up rewriting each sermon. I've seen and begun to understand God's purpose and plan for His church differently than ever before. It's very exciting.
Yesterday, I preached about how we, the people who make up Christ's church, are the framework or the walls. 1 Peter describes it as the "living stones" who are built on the Cornerstone, Jesus Christ. As those who are built on the foundation of Jesus, it is important that we line up with the Cornerstone, that we follow the same "line" as the foundation follows. A building built at odds with the foundation will not stand very long, especially if it is expected to withstand adverse weather conditions.
Practically speaking, this means that we, the Church, must be in line with God's purpose for the church as revealed through His Son, Jesus. This is where things get a little "sticky." I believe that means the Church must constantly be aligning and realigning itself with those ideas and principles that best represent who Jesus was and what Jesus did. In other words, it's not about what I want or prefer. It's not about what I think the church ought to look like or be like. It's not even about what will make me or people like me happy. It's not the responsibility or obligation of the church to line up with me...or...(dare I say it)...even you. It's the calling of the church to line up with Christ!
So here's the question I'd like you to ponder and respond to: What does that look like? If the church begins to look more and more like Christ, what will change? What will be different than it is right now? Give it some thought and then join the discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment